On 16.09.15 01:15, Jacob L Anawalt wrote:
(...)

> My observation with my keyring has been that "Display invalid keys"
> only hides revoked and expired keys from my list. It may do more than
> that for a keyring with keys in more states than mine. Like your
> experience, I still have a lot of keys with "-" or "unknown" in the
> Key Validity column with that filter turned off.

Keys with validity hidden when "Display invalid keys" unchecked:

  'i':invalid
  'e':expired
  'r':revoked
  'D':disabled

> (...)

> Viewing a sampling of the keys using gpg, the "stuck" ones that say
> "unknown" in the Owner Trust column of Enigmail say "trust: undefined"
> in the gpg output. The key I have set to trusted in Enigmail says
> "trust: full" in gpg. My default key that says ultimate in Enigmail
> says "trust: ultimate" in gpg. The rest of the keys that show "-" in
> Enigmail say "trust: unknown" in gpg:
>
> Owner Trust mapping
> Enigmail  GnuPG      trust value
> ultimate  ultimate    6
> trusted   full        5
> marginal  marginal    4
> untrusted never       3
> unknown   undefined   2
> -         unknown     <missing>

Thanks for looking this up!

> I got the trust values from gpg --export-ownertrust. The entries that
> show up as "-" in Enigmail and "unknown" in GnuPG don't export. I
> expect this is because an ownertrust was never assigned to those keys.
> Keys in that state stay out of the trusted keys list, but once
> assigned via Enigmail or gpg to a trust value of 2, 4, 5, or 6 they
> show up in the list.
>
> I think that a key with trust a value of 2 should not be in the list,
> just like ones without a trust value assignment and the ones with
> trust value of 3.

Enigmail does not use the --export-ownertrust, but instead it uses
--list-keys and --with-colons. The documentation of all output is in the
doc/Details of GnuPG source code, which for "Ownertrust" is quite fuzzy
compared with the rest.

Enigmail should hide the following codes if "Display untrusted keys" is
unchecked:

- / Unknown (i.e. no value assigned)
n / Untrusted

I think we should both hide the "unknown"/"undefined" and
"untrusted/never". I don't think, we should change the labelling before
the OpenPGP summit comes up with a new unified language.

Ludwig