--- Cotty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Listers,
>
> Anyone flown from Heathrow to the USA recently with a Pelican 1510 case
>
> <http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1510>
>
> as a carry on? The dimensions say that it will meet size restrictions,
> but will it fit inside the 'place your bag in this cage to see if it
> fits' cage that they have at Heathrow? No point in getting there only to
> find I have to check it in.
>
> Flying to Dulles soon with some EOS gear.
>
> Many thanks,
> >
> Cheers,
>   Cotty

Cotty, if you're flying a "normal" transatlantic flight, you will be fine. The
Pelican is well
within the allowable size for the overhead compartments. In some older planes,
the hatches don't
open wide enough to allow larger bags in, but at 7.25 inches high, you should
not have that issue.
However, if you are carrying your laptop (since we live in a digital age now),
find a way to put
it in your Pelican. Otherwise, you will have to check it. Heathrow is
apparently only allowing ONE
carry-on bag, and I don't know if they're currently honoring the "one carry-on
and one personal
item" rule that is so prevalent on this side of the pond.
Jane