Mark,
Are the laws of Physics different in California?
It is simply be design and following science that tells us that
Hydrogen powered cars will never be cost-effective.
Of course, a state can set up a grande grant-scheme and create
an artificially unbalanced market that will collapse as soon as
the money runs out or voters get fed up with the money being
poured into a fallacy that is not sustainable.
EVs have proven to be sustainable and efficient, they are
subsidized via tax breaks to sweeten the deal and ramp up
the market faster. But the Physics of a BEV tells us that it is
efficient and effective. Limited, maybe but good enough for
about 95% of most people's trips.

The situation is quite different for FCV and that is why even
organizations that promote Fuel Cell development have pulled out of
the unsustainable Hydrogen Fuel Cell development. (Except those that
are more interested in grants than in practical applications and
progress)
We will see where Toyota lands, time will tell.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626