> Speaking from a not expert position:  I thought speed records were set
> with the average of a two way run?

Used to be, when there were fewer cars to get through the course.  Now it’s one
way, into the holding pen, and back it up with another run in the same
direction (though often the next day).

It’s a little confusing, because people still refer to the “two way average”
and so forth.  There may still be some places that actually do opposite
directions, but that requires twice the setup of the starting line, timing
lights, etc.  So I’ve never actually seen it done in opposite directions,
myself.  I go to Bonneville and El Mirage.

                                -Bill