On Sep 27, 2014, at 8:09 AM, Peri Hartman via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> Have you looked at thermoelectric generators?

That would be Peltier coolers run in reverse. Not just heat-generating reverse
as opposed to cooling (which is a matter of reversing the positive and negative
leads), but taking an existing thermal gradient and transferring heat from the
hot side to the cold side and getting electricity as a result.

It's not going to generate very much power. It's probably most commonly used in
space applications where a radioactive source supplies the heat -- a nuclear
battery, long-lived but low-power.

Next most common is for low-power applications where you've already got waste
heat and don't need much power and, for whatever reason, it's easier and / or
cheaper to use such a (generally expensive) device than to run a wire. As the
blurb at the site you posted puts it:

> This device is not much bigger than a piece of confetti. In low-grade thermal
> environments, the eTEG generates micro-watts of power – enough thermal energy
> conversion to power remote sensors and other distributed devices.

I could see a winning solar challenge race car design that primarily uses PV
panels but also uses TEGs to scavenge enough extra watts to eke out an extra
car length over the runner-up by the end of the race...but that's assuming the
added weight isn't a killer. Could just as easily be a net loss...especially
once you take into account the need to cool the cold side. It's worth crunching
the numbers on it, but might not be worth more.

b&