Indeed - numbers don't lie.
A decent family car has no more roof surface than max 15 x 6ft
or about 90 sqft. At current (low cost) solar panel efficiency,
the max you could get out of that is around 12W per sqft (at perfect
angle
of irradiation, so in practice, a lot less!) which means you might get
around 1kW from this roof, or about 5 kWh per day since the sun moves
along the sky so you can count on approx 5 full sun hours each day.
That means that if you drive less than 20 miles avg per day, you can
drive on the solar roof alone if you keep it in full sun all day. No
parking under trees or in covered parking garage or behind a building.
If you want to do a 200 miles trip (besides battery capacity concerns)
you need to park and charge your car for 10 days straight to accumulate
the approx 50 kWh that is needed to go that distance. Question is if
your pack will contain that. More likely your pack will be half that
size, you you can charge 5 days straight and go 100 miles at freeway
speed, maybe this is sufficient to do 200 miles at 25 MPH but who wants
to sit for 8 hours doing residential street speed?

BTW, which car has a flat 90 sqft straight roof surface and is
aerodynamic?

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626