On 27 Sep 2014 at 0:53, Cor van de Water via EV wrote:

>  there is a (low) speed under which the Stella will consume less than
> the panels in full sun produce and above that it will drain the
> battery.

This is precisely what I said in the previous message.  The car's specs as
given don't support the claim that it can self-sustain 40mph purely from the
PV input.

Now, IF the Wh/km specification actually refers to some speed well above
40mph, or to a high-consumption non-ideal driving cycle - THEN it might
indeed be possible for the vehicle to PV-sustain at that speed under ideal
driving conditions.  They would have to be much more favorable conditions
than those at which the Wh/km specification was measured.

In fact, one would hope that a vehicle supposedly designed to compete in the
Solar Challenge would be able to do just this - travel at more-or-less
highway speeds using only energy from its PV input. That's precisely the
Solar Challenge: "Crossing a continent in a single stage using only sunlight
as fuel," according to their website.

But again, this car's specs >as published< don't support the claim.

Maybe someone familiar with the vehicle can clarify the specifications -
specifically, the conditions under which the Wh/km figure were measured.

I would add that for an EV hobbyist, building a car like this would be one
heck of an undertaking.  Maybe Lawrence can do it.  I would love to see him
succeed.  I know I couldn't.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator