On Oct 2, 2014, at 6:42 AM, Collin Kidder via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> Heh, you realize who deactivated it in the first place, right? I mean, you
> wouldn't have to "activate it" were it not for the fact that they turned it
> off in the first place.

Exactly.

"Nice car you've got there that we've just sold you. Be a shame if you wanted
to do anything to it we don't approve of and we had to press a button and
remotely turn it into scrap. Be even more of a shame if you had to meet our
demands to get us to un-press the button."

And, of course, it's not just Tesla, though their cars, whether intentionally
or incidentally, seem to be built with more potential for this type of ransom
than other manufacturers. That's why I have no interest in pretending to own a
car with a computer I can't completely control myself, and why I'm leery of
cars that rely on computers in general. Not because they've got computers in
them, but because the history of the implementation of these computers has
been, from the very beginning, to lock out "unauthorized" access -- with the
putative "owners" themselves generally being considered the most unauthorized
ones of all.

b&