This is a great discussion!  I am OK with Tesla's approach, I own just
enough stock to care that they don't go bankrupt from liability issues.  I
think the are just being prudent.  That makes me happy.

I also think that salvaged Teslas are far less valuable than the guy who
bought one paid and started this conversation - specifically because Tesla
must keep this tight reign on it.

A DIY guy can probably take a wrecked Tesla and get a lot out of it, but
you just can't get a fully functioning Tesla out of it.  So don't pay a lot
for one.  I am sure you can make the motor run, but not with all the bells
and whistles.

If you buy one then know that you are buying a different sort of package -
you won't get to customize it the ways you might like.

The vast majority of Tesla customers are not going to care about this.  If
Tesla continues to behave well, then it will be a very nice experience for
them.  Infinite miles warranties and such don't grow on trees.  It will be
different.

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Ben Goren via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> On Oct 2, 2014, at 6:42 AM, Collin Kidder via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Heh, you realize who deactivated it in the first place, right? I mean,
> you
> > wouldn't have to "activate it" were it not for the fact that they turned
> it
> > off in the first place.
>
> Exactly.
>
> "Nice car you've got there that we've just sold you. Be a shame if you
> wanted to do anything to it we don't approve of and we had to press a
> button and remotely turn it into scrap. Be even more of a shame if you had
> to meet our demands to get us to un-press the button."
>
> And, of course, it's not just Tesla, though their cars, whether
> intentionally or incidentally, seem to be built with more potential for
> this type of ransom than other manufacturers. That's why I have no interest
> in pretending to own a car with a computer I can't completely control
> myself, and why I'm leery of cars that rely on computers in general. Not
> because they've got computers in them, but because the history of the
> implementation of these computers has been, from the very beginning, to
> lock out "unauthorized" access -- with the putative "owners" themselves
> generally being considered the most unauthorized ones of all.
>
> b&

*Dalai Lama *

Tell me what it is you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?