On Oct 15, 2014, at 10:04 AM, Peter Gabrielsson via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> As for cellphones the real limiter on how fast you can recharge tends to be
> the connector, cables and power supply.

Cars, too. 10 kWh / minute is 600 kilowatts, a most impressive power transfer
rate. That's going to be a significant fraction of your neighborhood's total
average power draw -- all for just one car to charge at that rate (though, of
course, only for a few minutes).

If that's going to be how we charge our cars, we're going to need at least
twice as many batteries: one set in the car as today, and then another set at
the charging station that slow-charges at whatever rate its grid tie can handle
-- and that then fast-discharges into the car's battery. Charging stations will
still have massive underground storage, only full of batteries rather than
gasoline tanks.

...though the electric utilities might actually find something like that
desirable. The same stations that charge cars could provide peaking power back
to the grid. At least today it'd be a very expensive capital investment, but
the operational costs would be trivial to today's peaking generators. If the
companies think they can make an offsetting profit by becoming the new "gas"
stations, it could well happen.

b&