That is why *everyone* is always disappointed after installing new
tires,
whether they are LRR or not - the MPG will *always* go down, even if the
spec'ed rolling resistance of the new tires is lower than the previous
tires. Because by the time that the tires are worn they are so much
thinner and stiffer that the actual losses are lower than the newer
(thicker, more flexible) tires.
I noticed the same when replacing my 2002 Prius OE tires with the also
LRR
Sumitomo HTR 200 tires - even while I always pump them to 45+ PSI, the
MPG went down considerably (several MPG) from around 50 to around 47 and
only after they started to age did the MPG go back up again.
(What also helps is that a worn tire is *smaller* so the miles are
indicating high, leading to a larger error in artificially increasing
MPG, so the only real measurement is in the pump data which I
unfortunately do not have). Also, the torque to accelerate the car will
reduce a little bit with smaller tires, but this is unlikely to have a
significant impact.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626