Nothing voodoo about it.  Minimizing energy use and maximizing percent energy
regained with regen are two different things.  I said you get more energy
back into the pack stopping faster with regen.  Of course net energy use
increases with more stops/starts, but percentage energy regained with regen
increases.  Similarly, higher constant speed between start/stops also
increases net energy use but it also increases energy regained with regen.
So, if you are looking for where you would get the greatest difference in
energy used with regen versus without, it would be a driving pattern that
has many start/stops with higher speeds in between. The calculations
describe my car's performance quite well.