On Mar 30, 2015, at 1:49 PM, EVDL Administrator via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> I say more power (sorry ;-) to Lawrence and wish him the best.  I
> wish I lived nearby, so I could watch and cheer him on.

There's a big part of me that wants to wish him the best with the project...but
there's an even bigger part that's screaming at me that he's in way over his
head and has no clue what he's getting himself into. Things like what appear to
be ignorance of basic automotive engineering concepts (like a differential) and
aerodynamics (his idea of using lift to make the car seem lighter) and power
(not understanding how much energy a vehicle needs) and optics (his idea of
lining the seat headrests with panels) and more.

I'm sorry, but this whole thing just has "fail" plastered all over it, and I'd
love to see him put his enthusiasm towards something he's not guaranteed to
fail at.

Lawrence? May I suggest?

Ditch this project. Put it out of your mind. If you ever get to the point that
you have what it takes to see it through, you'll know it because you'll have
all the details already worked out in your head.

Instead...work on building yourself a practical electric vehicle, not solar,
but a direct replacement for your current vehicle or one you wish you had. And
not something with the thought that you might make it solar later,
either...just a garden-variety conversion of a regular car. A VW Bug would be a
great candidate, and a Karmann Ghia even better.

Once you've made yourself a normal electric vehicle, _then_ you can start to
think about what you might want to do in the next one...and, also, by then,
chances are superlative that you'll realize just how impractical this solar
project really is.

b&