On Apr 7, 2015, at 4:25 PM, Cor van de Water via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> Time will tell if we soon will have a 1-minute rechargeable battery....

...and a 1-minute *dischargeable* battery. That's probably an even bigger deal
than the charge time.

Right now, charging times seem to be limited on all sorts of things other than
battery chemistry -- at least, in the automotive world. I suppose cell phones
may well be limited by chemistry.

>From what I can tell, typical batteries in today's EVs have discharge rates in
>the single-digit C values, which limits their power output to about the same
>as their ICE equivalents. But this is an order of magnitude more than that,
>and twice what even A123 offers. If these're price-competitive with today's
>batteries -- and, of course, if all these numbers actually hold up -- then
>we're looking at econoboxes with batteries that would make Weyland and Garlits
>and the rest drool.

Of course, the econoboxes wouldn't get the motors and controllers that could
keep up with the batteries...but...well, for example, a battery like this might
well be able to replace mechanical brakes by actually being able to absorb all
the energy from an hard stop with regen. That would eliminate yet another
component and its weight and complexity. I'm sure all sorts of other
possibilities present themselves if these power numbers are real.

Like...mechanical recharging. Pull into the "gas" station with the wheels on a
dyno. (Or, more realistically, something that coupled to the wheels /
drivetrain without relying on the friction of rubber.) Line current (or battery
banks or whatever) power the dyno; the car turns on full regen. If the car
*did* have a dragster-capable motor / controller / whatever, you could thereby
pump that megawatt into the batteries and, in three minutes, put 50 kWh into
them. Yes, there'd be efficiency losses...but electricity is dirt cheap
compared with gasoline, so people likely wouldn't care.

b&