It is happening much more subtly than that.  I recently needed a new throttle
body for my 15 year old Volvo.  I generally get all my work done at a small
independent shop.  They keep up on all the latest diagnostic equipment, but
they weren't sure their equipment would be able to program and "flash" the new
throttle body to the car.  Just in case, they recommended I have the work done
at the dealer.  The part is programmed with the VIN of the vehicle, so it will
only work on that car.

That is the way this is being done with cars built within the last decade or
two.  At least for major components of the drive train.

Mike