On Apr 27, 2015, at 8:52 PM, Michael Ross via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> being the devil's advocate...
>
> This is clearly not great for the poor or the DIY'r, but the new car buyer
> may have much better cars to choose from, I expect instead of 200K miles
> being common, 100K was a great thing when I was young, I am sure with EVs
> there will be an expectation of 300K and 400K life.

That's got basically nothing to do with locking people out of their own
vehicles, and everything to do with basic engineering -- materials science
especially, as well as new manufacturing techniques to permit the use of
stronger, lighter, and more efficient materials and designs.

My 1964 1/2 Mustang that's going to become a plugin hybrid? It's going to make
more power, get better mileage, and have a better chance of lasting longer than
basically anything you could buy from the dealer in the '60s. The block itself
may well wind up having been manufactured in the '60s...but the rotating
assembly is going to be either forged or nodular iron, it's going to have fuel
injection, and so on, giving the drivetrain basically all the advantages of
both '60s and modern technology and none of the disadvantages of either.

The auto manufacturers are just following in the footsteps of the inkjet
printer manufacturers: sell the printers for the price of a full set of ink
cartridges...and sell the cartridges at some sort of insane
thousand-to-one-or-so markup. And put a $0.0001 chip in the cartridges that
ensures that you can't refill them and can only use the manufacturer's
cartridges in the printer.

My advice to car buyers?

Don't buy anything model year 1966 or newer. If you have a newer car that left
the factory withOUT computer controls, don't sell it.

Either that, or just get it out of your head right now any notion that you
actually own the car....

b&