I agree with Jamie. There are obviously a great range of situations, but I
would guess his is more typical.    Where I live people seem to roughly fall
into two categories: those who like evs but can't afford one, and those who
can afford an ev but don't want one.  The former can only afford one car
(typically a used one), and need to occasionally take longer trips to
grandparents, etc, and/or have a long commute.  These people typically live
further from work because that's where they can afford a house.  The latter
group considers an ev just a car, and far inferior to other cars they can
buy which refuel fast and go far. One put it rather succinctly after I told
her my car's range: "Its useless." In order for an ev to meet the desires of
the former group it has to compete with buying a used ice car.  To sell to
the latter group it has to be "special" or "sexy", high quality, and have
long range, something like a Tesla S.

Myself, I found I used my ev more when I increased charging rate.  It
enabled me to quickly charge at home for those times when I need to go
somewhere in the late afternoon or evening after coming home from a trip
where I used most of the battery's capacity.  It also permitted me to charge
faster at public EVSEs, increasing the distance I could drive with a 30 - 60
minute stop, and decreasing my dwell time at the EVSE so it is available to
others.  The latter is a big consideration where ev density is higher.  My
charger is 10 kW, which is about 45 highway miles per hour charge for my
car. I sometimes stop at RV parks and charge from a 220V/50A outlet at 9 or
10 kW for 30 minutes then continue on.  I also charge from a 220V/50A outlet
at home.

But of course a bicycle is much more efficient than an ev, so I ride that
for many of my errands except during the cold days of winter.