Peri Hartman wrote:
And don't forget the battery replacement cost - perhaps after 10 years or 70K
miles?

Ben Goren via EV wrote:
It seems that batteries are lasting at least as long as ICE engines and
transmissions, and replacement new batteries are guaranteed to be much cheaper
than replacement new engines or transmissions.

It's too soon to know how long the batteries will really last. All we have are projections.

But we *do* know that the EPA requires that the batteries be covered under warranty for 8 years or 100,000 miles. That's good for consumers; but maybe bad for the car companies that make mistakes and so have to "eat" the warranty replacement costs.

Nissan already had a case of this with their early Leaf packs. It's not encouraging that they worked hard to weasel out of covering them.

Another worrisome thing: The batteries in all the auto company produced EVs are custom. Will a replacement pack even be *available* in 10 years? Remember the auto company produced EVs from around the year 2000? Batteries are totally unavailable for all of them.
--
The greatest pleasure in life is to create something that wasn't
there before. -- Roy Spence