Yes they are inefficient. The typical number I've seen is around 20%.  This,
and the fact that an ice continues running while stopped at a traffic light
but an electric motor doesn't (unless the vehicle has an automatic
transmission) are of course the main reasons for reduced energy use by EVs,
and why energy cost per mile is so much lower for EVs.

But what I am asking about is the Mile Per Gallon equivalent, MPGe, rating
given to ELECTRIC vehicles. Specifically, why if I use the 33.7 kWh/gal
conversion factor does the MPGe for my car come out so high compared to EPA
numbers for manufactured EVs?  I think it must be the difference in driving
cycles, but wondered if they use a different method of estimating MPGe.
Would be interesting to see what people get for MPGe for their Leaf,
Mitsubishi i, or Volt (in all electric) using the 33.7 conversion versus
what type of driving cycle is typical for them.