From: "Peter Eckhoff via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: 27-May-15 9:03:51 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Design News: Why Aren't Electrical Cars Sales Better? It's the battery.

I just finished reading the article and I came away with the idea that the author could have substituted personal computer for battery, or laptop for battery, or any of the other technological wonders that only existed in the minds of Buck Roger / Star Trek fans. The question has always been one of when do I jump in and trade my abacus for a PC or PC for a laptop, or slower model for a faster model?

It's getting there. Right **now** the Leaf has a range of 75 miles. The 2017 model of the Bolt, Leaf and Model E are supposed to have ranges of around 200 miles. Do I buy a Leaf today and borrow an ICE to reach an Atlantic Ocean beach? Do I wait until 2017 when I could reach a beach with a newer EV? Do I wait until 2018 when some poor driver has his or her car "totaled" and I can buy that pack for dimes on the dollar?

Have you ever noticed how some of these titles are inflammatory? The author could have gone to:
http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/
and written how EV sales are rising rapidly and we would be replying to:

Re:[EVDL] Design News: Why are Electric Car Sales Rising Rapidly?

If he had plotted out the sales figures he would have seen EV sales taking off even in the face of relatively low gasoline prices and so-so economic activity:
               USA Worldwide
March 2015: 10,341  41,988
March 2014:  9,650  24,267
March 2013:   7982   N/A
March 2012:   3815   N/A
March 2011:    906   N/A

He does have a point about the batteries but my guess is that he wrote the article in a trollish manner for clicks and views. I think he gets it but he does have to put food on the table.

Now for a big question, if the 2017 Leaf pack stays the same volume wise and the range goes from 75 to say 225 miles, what would happen if that pack chemistry were transferred in kind to the Tesla Model S? Ans: ~800 miles on a charge EV??? Suddenly, Gulf Coast beaches are in range as well as Cape Cod beaches from a central North Carolina starting point. Is this just a pleasant thought nearing reality or am I just wishful thinking??? Let's see him write an article about that.

Would a $6K 2015 Leaf replacement pack still cost $6K for the 2017 model Leaf? If people realize this, would current EV sales begin to drop in anticipation? If I buy a 2015 Leaf today, would I be able to trade up to a 2017 chemistry pack or pack?

Hopefully some of this takes away some of that "in your face" -ness of the article.