The people I know with Leafs have similar experience as Ed, greater range if
they drive around town at lower speeds than if they drive on the highway at
higher speeds.  My experience with my conversion is the same.  I
consistently use about 240 Wh/mile at 60 mph and about 180 Wh/mile at 35
mph, both on approximately level terrain, confirmed by data logging battery
current and voltage, as well as just checking energy use after a trip.

I generally get around 10% of energy used on a trip returned by regen.
Usually get about 50 -55% of kinetic energy back into the batteries during
braking, and about the same percentage of vehicle potential energy back
going down hill.  You have to remember that the some of the KE and PE is
used to do work against rolling resistance and drag forces when coasting
downhill and braking with regen.  I posted quite a bit of data on this here:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=366384&postcount=20

Maybe Peri drives on more hills in city driving than on the highway?

As far as the main topic, I would prefer a larger pack, one that gives 150
mile range at 60 mph on level ground at 75F ambient, to my current 65 mile
range at those conditions.  I have been driving a small car for several
years (Suzuki Swift) in an area where at least 40% of cars are large pickup
trucks (quite a few dual wheel) and large SUVs like Escalade and Excursion.
Doesn't bother me.  I think a small light car with a tough, strong shell
could be quite safe - bounce off a big truck intact, like an electron off an
argon atom. :^)  'Course being smashed between two large vehicles would be a
different story.

Ian Wright (original designer of the Tesla drive train) and founder of
Wrightspeed, said he didn't think Musk would sell any electric cars because
they were too expensive.  That's why he left and designed a system for heavy
commercial vehicles where there is much greater fuel cost savings.  High
end, high quality, sexy cars was likely the only way for Musk to be
successful, and likely something Wright didn't foresee, or doubted they
could pull off - pretty unusual for a startup to make such a highly
acclaimed car right out of the chute.