John Lussmyer wrote:
Putting 300VDC at the fingertips of the driver and passengers?

Note that normal 240vac has a peak of around 340v.

High-power accessories like heaters, air conditioners, power steering pumps, etc. could run directly from the 300vdc. They would be hard wired, so consumers wouldn't have access to the power leads for these.

Accessory outlets for charging things like your cellphone would still be 12vdc. It would be provided by an isolated DC/DC converter.

I'd also expect that there would be an inverter to produce isolated 120vac, so all sorts of things consumers are used to plugging in would now work in the car.

Main pack dies - you can't turn on the emergency flashers.

A backup system would be a good idea. But you don't need a 60 lbs battery to supply it.

300VDC switches are MUCH more expensive and complex.

Not really. They are likely to be solid state switches, which are smaller and cheaper than low-voltage-high-current switches.

Accessories need to work over a large variation of voltage. (280-330 in my
truck).

That's less than +/-10% range. Normal AC appliances already have to operate with +/-10% variations in their supply.

I'm not saying there are NO problems. It's just that the problems are different, and probably easier to handle with HV than LV.

--
"IC chip performance doubles every 18 months." -- Moore's law
"The speed of software halves every 18 months." -- Gates' law