Typically this works (with both new and old cars) if there is still some
juice left in the battery, but not enough to allow cranking. Since the
spark for the ICE depends not only on the engine turning but also
electric power and the alternator will not deliver power if its control
circuit does not get at least a little power to activate the electro
magnet that causes it to generate power in the first place.
So, if the kid's battery was not connected or really dead, then you
cannot push-start the car - except when it has an old style (mechanical
pump and injection) diesel engine. I have driven a Diesel home which had
a bad alternator, so slowly the lights were fading and eventually the
last mile I had to navigate in the dark, but the Diesel engine kept
going.
It is exceedingly hard to push-start a cold Diesel engine however, due
to the need to pre-heat.
I am suspecting that the kid you found had left lights (hazards?) on and
the car's battery was too dead to power up the alternator (and all the
other electronics). For example in the Classic (2001-2003) Prius a weak
battery still needs to run the pump for the brake booster and it often
needs to finish before the voltage comes back up and the car will allow
you to start, so if the battery is too dead you cannot get it going.
Sometimes it helps to turn everything off, wait several minutes and then
try starting twice, first to fill the brake booster and as soon as that
pump stops, to try starting the car (booting the computers).
Regards,

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626                    Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130                    private: cvandewater.info

http://www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received
this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any
unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of
this message is prohibited.