​​Maybe in SoCal the roads never get messed up because the weather is so
nice?

Here in NC our weather swings between -12°C and 40°C, and we get decent
rainfall all year, I think of potholes, and nasty dropped pieces of car and
truck parts, ladders and lumber, sagging shoulders, bermudagrass
infiltrating the pavement, etc., on one hand. And the uncountable millions
of wires to collect these electrons? Now buried just below the surface of a
roadway.  This is going to last how long before it degrades and has to be
repaired, and what does that take?

Even if it can be done, I doubt the real world, scaled up application works
well.  I am very doubtful.

Maybe someone will devise a fabric that contains piezo elements and
conductors, by some very automated, continuous process. There was a project
at NC State to make pipe insulation by some sort of non-woven textile
process that had thermocouples (a thermopile of them) in it that would make
power from the temperature gradient between the inner and outer surfaces.
It looked like a real trick to get the current out of it (resistance), and
how to connect to it, service it, and change/repair it when damaged.

This roadway/power plant is kind of like combining solar PV and solar
thermal in the same collector - yeah you can do it but the complication is
much greater and all you really get is PV running a little cooler, with
better efficiency, if you actually use the thermal to do that. You are far
better off having separate collectors on for moving electrons and the other
for moving heat.  The complication of putting them together negates the
added efficiency. You are far better off having a well built, simple,
durable road, and a solar farm beside it.

I prefer to see some of the real estate beside and in the medians of
roadways used for PV.

Thomas A. Edison
<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasaed125362.html>

*Warren Buffet*