Thanks to those who replied to my inquiry.  My instinct is that a real engineer
with familiarity of the cars design would be needed to pull this off.

David Roden  makes some very interesting points.  He points out that the
emissions are high for less regulated motors. The pollutants that he sites are
CO, NMHC + NOx.  This certainly give me pause for moving forward.  CO2 is
definitely a motivator for me.  The emissions for this are gallons (10%
ethanol) typical x 19#CO2/gal (epa website
http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=307&t=11 ).

I have evaluated the actual gas mileage using David’s metric of m/kwh x speed
to determine kwh/h or kw of continuous power.  I would need 14.3 kw generator.
Using this 15 kw generator
http://www.electricgeneratordepot.com/generac-5734-gp15000e-15-000-watt-electric-start-portable-generator-992cc-ohvi
 I end up with a mere 18.75 mpg not accounting for the reduced m/kwh for the
trailer.  Our Honda Element (2nd car) gets 25 mpg.  The trailer would only make
environmental sense if we can go back to using renewable energy while we are at
the destination. My figures are pasted in from spreadsheet below.

Though Davids prototype gets higher m/kwh than the leaf, I still promote the
all electric car for local use.  This 80 mile range achieves 75% of our annual
auto transportation needs.  We added photovoltaic array to produce as much
power as this consumes.  This greatly reduces our CO2 emissions for auto
transportation.

Eli

Generator Evaluation
      Milage (miles/kwh) 4.2
      Average Speed (mph) 60
      Energy needed per hour (kwh/h)         14.29
      Continuous power needed (kw)         14.29
      gas tank(g) 16
      Run time at 50% power(hr) 10
      Run time at 100% power(hr) 5
      gas consumption at 60mph(gph) 3.2