Or even simpler, a 15-20 HP pusher engine with an electric clutch and a
chain drive to a single wheel mounted as close behind the car as possible
(to minimize scrubbing in tight turns.).  Tune the engine to maximize power
and minimize pollution at a calculated speed of 60 MPH, and lock in that
setting.  Use the car's motor to get up to highway speed, then hit a switch
to activate the clutch.  The pusher engine should be able to provide most
of the power needed to maintain highway speed, dramatically extending the
range of the car's batteries which would be called upon to "fine tune" the
speed of the car.  When you exit the highway you hit the kill switch
disengaging the clutch and turning the gas engine off, and continue on
battery power.  The pusher would weigh less than 150 lb. and add little or
no additional wind resistance.  You're proposing to convert gasoline power
into motion to extend your range - why take a detour into generating
electricity and then using it to power an electric motor? just more loss
there.  KISS.