On 10 Sep 2017 at 22:16, Lawrence Rhodes via EV wrote:

> They are old technology which has no place in the brush less motor
> world of today.

Yes, but they have an upside:

You can actually work on them yourself, without having to fight some
automaker's proprietary security stuff.

If the motor or controller craps out, you can replace it (or them) with
whatever new unit(s) you want.  Same with the DC:DC, brake vacuum pump, and
so on.  Same with the battery. You can upgrade or downgrade any component at
will.  You can get parts from any source, not just the dealer.  You won't
have the car rejecting some junkyard or generic part you put in because it
isn't "registered" with the body computer, or whatever.

There seems to be a large and growing "hacking" (in a good way) community
devoted to some production EVs, but even those are still much more locked
down and opaque than any conversion.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator