My little trailer has 800W on the roof and is grid tied while it's in the
driveway. I went with this inverter due to the size of the array:

I got tired of unscrewing wires from the big terminal strips (12-32 screws,
who did that??) so I could adjust for different amounts of sun when keeping
the lead-acid batteries topped up. Now I have a bank of DPST switches from
the auto parts store so each panel can go the the charge controller or to
the grid tie inverter. I'd sure like to find a circuit to selectively
switch the panels over based on battery voltage... In summertime a 50W
panel will fill the batts each day after I heat my coffee in the microwave.
That's a second inverter that just takes 12V and makes 120VAC for the
microwave. Had to use my EV battery cable making skills for the 1 or 2 AWG
wires feeding that!

Stand alone the loads are the microwave and refrigerator (10A almost
continuously), plus LED lights, radio and a few fans, one of which is in
the refrigerator vent and another is in the roof vent. Both those fans will
come on if it gets too hot and on hot days it took about 100W to keep the
batts up. Still hit 100 degrees inside. Time for new screens...

On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 7:24 PM, Robert Bruninga via EV <>