Hydrogen might be useful for grid storage. Looking at roughly 50% efficiency is a big hit but if you have surplus energy and no other practical way to store it, H2 is an alternative. Pumped storage, on the other hand, is estimated to be 70-80% efficient. A better alternative if you can create lakes at two different levels - or use abandoned mine caverns. And just building a better grid will help too, so that energy can be used immediately, even at long distances.

But if you're creating H2 from methane or natural gas to use in an FCEV, that's silly. Just burn the natural gas in an ICE. More efficient.

Peri

------ Original Message ------
From: "Mark Abramowitz via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: "Mark Abramowitz" <ma...@enviropolicy.com>
Sent: 30-Oct-17 11:37:28 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] OT Toyota admits 'Elon Musk is right'> that fcvs are incredibly dumb

Inefficient energy storage device? How so?

Compared to batteries, they can store energy much longer. Batteries are in their sweet spot for energy storage for a number of hours, hydrogen for longer periods. Batteries are for small scale storage, hydrogen can be used up to grid level storage.

Musk comments that it's more efficient to directly charge a battery. Maybe that's true, but there are a long list of advantages and disadvantages of hydrogen/battery hybrids AND batteries-only. So use the correct tool for the job. For the auto, it depends what's best for you. To say otherwise is to suggest everyone should buy a compact, or an SUV, or ...

I think *that's* pretty silly.

Sent from my iPhone