I've had this discussion before and it someone said that the reason was basicly
for the Proximity switch. So that when the Latch on the plug was pushed it would
signal the contactor in the EV to open and stop the current flow so that there
would not be a hot disconnect.

I think it was also so that there would be a positive connection. I've
encountered quite a few people who have bought my J1772 Extension and haven't
fully plugged it in so that the latch would engage and send the 150 ohm signal
to the EV. With the latch not engaged the 480 ohm, do not charge signal is sent
to the charger in the EV.

Rush Dougherty
Tucson AZ 85719