Mine is behind the license plate and uses a standard door/window switch
from an old store alarm system. Just a magnet on the plate and a reed relay
that switches when the plate is latched closed. Reed relay grounds the
interlock relay, while the key switch supplies 12V to the other side of
it's coil.

I do like the slide to the side plate, I may have to think about doing that.