On 21 Apr 2021 at 13:09, (-Phil-) via EV wrote:

> Most of the big automakers can't even sell normal sedans anymore, let alone a
> super-lightweight "city" car.  Just not going to happen.

And yet, somehow Volkswagen sold over 21 million Beetles.  They sold enough
of them to prosper even when Detroit was building gigantic, gas-guzzling,
12mpg V8 powered sedans.  They sold them even in the face of dire warnings
about how unsafe they were in collisions with those gas-guzzlers.

The real reason that automakers don't sell small cars now is that they don't
advertise them.  The only vehicles they advertise are pickup trucks, SUVs,
and crossovers.

They WANT small vehicles to fail, because they make less profit on them.

In the 1960s and into the 1970s, a large part of the reason that Volkswagen
sold Beetles in an America obsessed with "bigness" was that they advertised
them creatively, via a brilliant and whimsical advertising campaign created
by Doyle Dane Bernbach.

http://designbeep.com/2011/12/21/remembering-the-beetle-30-volkswagen-ads-
from-the-1960s/

https://swipefile.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/nobodys-perfect-vw-ad.jpg

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     It is well known (Potts, 2014; Catcher, 2014) that the internet
     is made of cats. The net is a series of tubes (Stevens, 2006)
     through which cats carry information in packets (Butterworth,
     2011). The failure modes have been less well studied. Several
     exist, but to date the most researched are fracture, disjunc-
     tion, and joule-based disruption. FRACTURE causes complete
     regional internet failure. It occurs when construction or other
     human activity severs or collapses an underground tunnel through
     which the cats travel. The symptom of DISJUNCTION is high lat-
     ency; the usual cause is hooligans placing containers of tuna or
     cream at tunnel junctions. Data corruption results from JOULE-
     BASED DISRUPTION, caused by the static charge that accumulates
     as long-haired cats speed through the tunnels. This shocks the
     cats, who drop their packets.

                                                  -- Lolapin (2020)