From: "Brent Meeker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2006 4:40 PM
Subject: Re: Bruno's argument

Quentin Anciaux wrote:
> Le Vendredi 21 Juillet 2006 22:08, Brent Meeker a écrit :
>
>>No, the hypothetical was stronger than that: it was that I knew exactly
>>how
>>your brain worked to the degree that I could make one.
>

> You could know everything on how my brain works without being ever able
> feeling being me... And I repeat if you could then you would be me by
> definition. Me is the only one able to feel being me... It is non-sense to
> claim otherwise, what ever you could know on the external working and
> behavior of myself.

As I understood the question was whether we could ever know how another
person/brain/alien felt -
not whether we could experience their feeling.  Obviously only the person
having the experience
feels/percieves it.  But I think it is plausible that, knowing the how a
alien brain was constructed
and how it worked (as we do a planaria's) and how the alien interacted with
the world and behaved,
then we could infer whether or not, for example, it felt pain and when and
what brain processes
corresponded to feeling pain.  I'm not sure that this is the case - but it
maybe.

In other words it is not justified, based on our limited understanding of
brains, to say we'll never
be able to know how another feels based on observation of their brain.

Brent Meeker