Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> Peter Jones writes:
>
> > > Is it possible that we are currently actors in a single, deterministic,
> > > non-branching
> > > computer program, with the illusion of free will and if-then contingency
> > > in general
> > > being due to the fact that we don't know the details of how the program
> > > will play
> > > out?
> >
> > Lots of things are possible. The question is what to believe.
>
> True, but I thought you were saying that such a thing was incompatible with
> consciousness,
> and I see no reason to believe that.

There are a lot of prolems with what you are saying.

I don't think it is possible to get dynamism out of stasis,
and I don't think it is possible to get qualia out of mathematical
structues

Oh, and "Non-branching programme" is close to being a cotnradiction in
terms.

>You could replace "computer program" with "machine"
> and have a description of the universe.

Really ? What would "machine" mean in that sentence ?
And according to which theory of physics ?

> Actually, you could leave out "non-branching" as well:
> the MWI is branching but deterministic, and still leaves room for first
> person indeterminacy.

There are problems with MWI as a purely physical theory.