Brent meeker writes (quoting Peter Jones, Quentin Anciaux and SP):

> >>Hi,

> >>It seems to me that the set of inputless programs contains the set of
> >>programs
> >>which have inputs. Because a program which have inputs could be written as
> >>the following inputless program :
> >>
> >>|HARDCODED INPUT||CODE|
> >>
> >>The resulting program is input less but the "substructure" denominated CODE
> >>here is not inputless, it takes the hardcoded input.
> >>
> >>So in any case I don't see why inputless program should be "trivial case".
> >>
> >>Regards,
> >>Quentin
>
> I thought the question was not about computation, but whether a program was
> intelligent or conscious.  I think that intelligence means being able to
> respond to a
> variety of differenet inputs.  So above |CODE| might be intelligent but not
> the
> overall inputless program.

OK, I suppose you could say "I'm intelligent" but not "I + my environment are
intelligent".
That still allows that an inputless program might contain intelligent beings,
and you are left
with the problem of how to decide whether a physical system is implementing
such a program
given that you can't talk to it.

Stathis Papaioannou