Brent Meeker writes:

Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> > > Mark Peaty writes: > >> SP: 'Getting back to the original question about teleportation >> experiments, are you saying that it would be impossible, or just >> technically very difficult to preserve personal identity whilst >> undergoing such a process? As Brent pointed out, technical difficulty >> is not an issue in thought experiments. , >> MP: I have answered this, in responding to Brent. In summary I say: if >> it is just A [any old] rendition of a human you want, then given that >> thought experiments allow that all practical challenges can be >> overcome, the answer is Yes! On the other hand if the strict >> requirement of an exact copy of a particular person is required to be >> output then it becomes a question of whether or not truly infinite >> computing power is required to calculate the changes occurring within >> the original at scan time. If it is then the answer is NO, because >> infinity is infinity. >> I think Derek Parfit's copier [Reasons and Persons Ch 10] was >> 'usually' producing complete and accurate copies, because one of his >> scenarios addresses what would happen if there was a fault in the >> transmission. > > The brain manages to maintain identity from moment to moment without > perfect copying or infinite computing power. Of course, you may need > very good copying and very great computing power, but this is different > in kind, not just in degree, from perfect copying and infinite computing > power. > > Stathis Papaioannou

And does it even have to be very good?  Suppose it made a sloppy copy of me that left out
90% of my memories - would it still be "me"?  How much fidelity is required for
Bruno's argument?  I think not much.

Brent Meeker

I don't think there is any clear answer to that question. Even more difficult to answer, if I were copied 10 times in 10 different locations, with each copy having progressively fewer of my original memories (i.e. copy no. 1 has 100% while copy no. 10 has only 10%), what should my expectation of where I will end up be?

Stathis Papaioannou