Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> Johnathan Corgan writes:
>> Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
>>> If some multiverse theory happens to be true then by your way of argument
>>> we
>>> should all be extremely anxious all the time, because every moment terrible
>>> things
>>> are definitely happening to some copy of us. For example, we should be
>>> constantly
>>> be worrying that we will be struck by lightning, because we *will* be
>>> struck by lightning.
>> If MWI is true, *and* there isn't a lowest quantum of
>> probability/measure as Brent Meeker speculates, there is an interesting
>> corollary to the quantum theory of immortality.
>> While one branch always exists which continues our consciousness
>> forward, indeed we are constantly "shedding" branches where the most
>> brutal and horrific things happen to us and result in our death.  Their
>> measure is extremely small, so from a subjectively probability
>> perspective, we don't worry about them.
>> I'd speculate that there are far more logically possible ways to
>> experience an agonizing, lingering death than to live.  Some have a
>> relatively high measure, like getting hit by a car, or getting lung
>> cancer (if you're a smoker), so we take steps to avoid these (though
>> they still happen in some branch.)  Others, like having all our
>> particles spontaneously quantum tunnel into the heart of a burning
>> furnace, are so low in measure, we can blissfully ignore the
>> possibility.  Yet if MWI is true, there is some branch where this has
>> just happened to us. (modulo Brent's probability quantum.)
>> If there are many more ways to die than to live, even of low individual
>> measure, I wonder how the "integral of the measure" across all of them
>> comes out.
> It's not death that is the problem (you always get out of that), it's
> suffering. Final death
> would be better than a living hell, but QTI denies you final death. I take
> comfort in the
> speculation that if I'm still alive in a few hundred years, most likely this
> will be as a result
> of some advanced medical or cybernetic intervention, and if science
> understands the brain
> well enough to do that, it would be a relatively simple matter by comparison
> to ensure that I
> am content. I think the hellish routes to immortality would occur mostly by
> chance and would
> be of much lower total measure than the deliberate, happy routes.

I think Bruno already remarked that it may well be more probable that a
continuation of your consciousness arises in some other branch of the
multiverse "by chance", rather than as a state of "your" erstwhile body.  This
would seem particularly more probable as your consciousness simplifies due to
deterioration of your brain - how hard can it be to find a continuation of a
near coma.  Perhaps this continuation is the consciousness of a fish - and it's
the Hindus rather than the Bhuddists who are right.

Brent Meeker

To post to this group, send email to