Stathis:
interesting.  See my additional question after your reply
John
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Stathis Papaioannou
  To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 9:03 AM
  Subject: RE: ASSA and Many-Worlds

  John Mikes writes:

  > Stathis:
  > your concluding sentence is
  > " But my brain just won't let me think this way."
  > *
  > Have you been carried away?
  > Who is "your brain" to make decisions upon you? (maybe you mean only that
the mechanism of your brain, the main tool "YOU"  use in mental activity, is
not predesigned for such action?) So: is there a pre-design (ha ha)?
  > More importantly: who is that "me" in conflict with 'your'  brain?
  > How do you 'want' to 'think' something (which involves your brain) when
'your brain' won't let it happen?
  > OK, let's introduce "you", the homunculus, who wants to think some way and
your 'brain' did not reach the sophistication of the design (yet?) to comply -
as a reason for "won't let me".
  > With what 'tool' did "you" WANT to "think this way"? How many people are
you indeed?
  > *
  > I am asking these stupid qiestions in the line of my search for SELF ("I"),
vs. the total interconnectedness of our personal existence with 'the rest of
the world'. I expect that you may provide useful hooks for me in such respect.
  > John

  "I" am the product of a consciousness-generating mechanism, my brain, in the
same way as "walking" is the product of a locomotion-generating mechanism, my
legs. "I" am not identical to my brain just as "walking" is not identical to my
legs. Now, of course "I can only think what my brain will let me think", and of
course "I can only walk where my legs will let me walk", but these statements
are not tautologies in the way that saying "I can only think what I can think"
or "I can only walk where I can walk" are.

  Stathis Papaioannou
  -----------------------------------
  JM:

  so you consider the biologic tissue-grown (stem-cell initiated) BRAIN the
origin of a thinking person? Life growing out from 'matter' - which is the
figment of our explanatory effort to poorly and incompletely observed impact
received from parts unknown? Funny: you invested so many posts into the
(partial) teleportation and copying into other universes - did you really MEAN
  the transfer of tissues (like in StarTrek?) How 'bout the multiple  'copying'
of matter?  How can you duplicate the atoms for copying? StarTrek had only 1
copy and that, too, by 'physical' transfer.
  Save the wrong conclusion: I am not defending this line, I find it unreal and
just mention the position of yours and others on this list for argument's sake.
  I find it 'interesting, but amazing' that different brains (see: the
multiplicity of humans and other animals among themselves) behave like mental
clones in accepting very similar "3rd person views" into their 1st person
ideas, to form images of the 'material world' etc. Mental images, that is,
which, however you would make into their own origination? Are we all (and the
world, the existnce etc.) only fiction of ourselves?

  Then again I feel that the 'consciousness' you generate by the brain may be
very close to personality, self, the "I" we are talking about. Which would
close the loop:  "there must be the 'primitive matter' forming the brain and
out of that comes the 'not-so-primitive' matter, the mental complexity and
all"???

  I agree withBruno to disagree in the absolute primitive matter concept. IMO
  It is only an explanatory imaging in this universe's consciousness activity
to order the part of the system we so far detected. Together with space-time
and OUR pet-causality - the 'within model' ordering.

  John

  PS I still would appreciate to be directed to a short text explaining the
essence of ASSA (RSSA?). J