Quentin Anciaux skrev:
2007/6/14, Stathis Papaioannou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On 14/06/07, Quentin Anciaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Sure but I still don't understand what could mean 'to know', 'to
believe' for an entity which is not conscious. Also if you're not
conscious, there is no 'me', no 'I', so there exists no 'person like
you' because then you're not a person.
Sure, but Torgny is just displaying the person-like behaviour of claiming to
be a person.

Yes, in this case his writing is just garbage because it doesn't have
any meaning. I can't understand what it means for an unconscious thing
(for example a rock) to know something, to believe in something, to
have thought (especially this one, because it could be a definition of
consciousness, ie: something which has thought).

If the rock behaves as if it knows something (if you say something to the rock, and the rock gives you an intelligent answer), then you can say that the rock knows something.  When the rock behaves as if it believes in something, then you can say that the rock believes in something.  If the rock behaves as if it has thought, then you can say that the rock has thought.

If a rock shows the same behavior as a human being, then you should be able to use the same words ("know", believe", "think") to describe this behaviour.

--
Torgny Tholerus