I think it can be useful to look at the problem of consciousness from
a third person point of view, doing so you would conclude we are a
bunch of apes aware of our surroundings wondering why it is we are
aware of our surroundings.  If you explored further you would see
plenty of reasons to explain why those apes were aware; they have
senses which take inputs from the environment and brains which process
those inputs to create an internal representation, about which they
can speak (and wonder) about.  I can see the path of logic that Torngy
is following: qualia are simply manifestations of physical events ->
there is nothing magical or special about -> their reality is an
illusion -> they don't exist.  However even if qualia/consciousness is
an elaborate illusion then it is that illusion they are referring to
when they claim to be conscious.

Jason