Hal wrote:
> Yes, as you note later this is very similar to the concept I called
> UD+ASSA or just UDASSA and described in a series of postings to this
> list back in 2005. It was not original with me but actually was based
> on an idea of Wei Dai, who founded this last way back in 1998. I was
> working at one point on the udassa.com site to bring the ideas together
> but never finished it. I'm surprised that guy found it, I don't recall
> mentioning that URL. Must have let it slip sometime!

It appears that the post where I originally proposed this idea is missing
from the Google Groups archive. Something must have gone wrong when I
imported the group archive into Google Groups, or data rot got to it. The
Mail-Archive.com archive is in even worse shape, missing everything from
before Sept 2006.

Fortunately a third archive at Nabble.com seems still complete, and the post
can be found here:
http://www.nabble.com/consciousness-based-on-information-or-computation--tf3053801.html#a8489008

As Hal notes on his website, I've since moved away from this position. I've
explain my reasons on the mailing list as they occurred to me (for example
http://www.nabble.com/relevance-of-the-real-measure-tf3055627.html#a8492185
and http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=8496294&framed=y) but
perhaps I should write down a summary for the new members.

PS, if anyone wants to download the complete raw mailing list archive in
zipped Unix mailbox format, please email me privately.