Colin Hales wrote:
> [...]
> substrate. This becomes our COMP_S. We expect the two to be identical to
> the extent of delivering indistinguishable scientific behaviour. We
> embody  COMP_S with IO as sophisticated as a human and wire it up....If
> the computationalist position holds, by definition, the dynamics of
> COMP_S must be (a) complex enough and (b) have access to sufficient
> disambiguated information to construct tn indistinguishably from HUMAN_S.
>
> If computationalism is true then given the same circumstance of original
> knowledge paucity (which can be tested), A demand for a scientific
> outcome should result in state-vector dynamics adaptation resulting in
> the delivery of the same tn (also testable), which we demand shall be
> radically novel.... If they are really equivalent this should happen.
> This is the basic position (I don't want to write it out again!)
>
> I would claim the state trajectory of COMP_S to be fatally impoverished
> by the model ta. (abstracted atoms). That is, the state-trajectory of
> COMP_S would fail to consistently converge on a new law of nature tn and
> would demonstrate instability (chaotic behaviour). Just like ungrounded
> power supplly voltage drift about, a symbolically  ungrounded COMP_S
> will epistemically drift about.
>
> Indeed I would hold that would be the case no matter what the
> abstraction level: sub-atomic, sub-sub atomic , sub sub sub atomic
> ...... etc ... the result would be identical. Remember: there's no such
> 'thing' as atoms...these are an abstraction - of a particular level of
> the organisational hierarchy of nature. .... also note ... so-called'
> ab-initio quantum mechanics of the entire HUMAN_S would also fail
> because QM is likewise just an abstraction of reality, not reality. COMP
> would claim that the laws of nature describing atoms behave identically
> to atoms. The model ensemble of ta atoms should be capable of expressing
> all the emergent properties of  an ensemble of real atoms. This already
> makes COMP a self-referential question-begging outcome.  HUMAN_S is our
> observer, made of real atoms. COMP assumes that P is delivered by
> computing ta when there is no such 'thing' as atoms! Atoms are an
> abstraction of a thing, not a thing. Furthermore, all the orighinal
> atoms of HUMAN_S have been replaced with the atoms of the COMP_S substrate.
>
> What is NOT in law of nature ta is the relationship between the
> abstraction ta and all the other atoms in the distal world outside
> COMP_S. (beyond the IO boundary). Assume you supplied all the data about
> all the atoms in the environment of the original human HUMAN_S used to
> construct and initialise COMP_S. You know all these relationships at the
> moment you measured all the atoms in HUMAN_S to get you model
> established. However, after initialisation, when you run the COMP_S, all
> relationships of the model with the distal world (those intrinsic to the
> atoms which the model replaced) are GONE ....

I can't tell from your exposition whether you are assuming that the external
world is modelled along with the comp-s or whether the comp-s is provided with
sensory mechanisms so as to interact with the world.

>the instant the
> abstraction happens, from that moment on you know NOTHING about the
> current state of the distal environment...all you have is IO
> measurements.

And that's all a human scientist has too - IO measurements by his senses.

>You cannot claim that the model includes all those
> relationships because you are doing SCIENCE and you cannot a-priori know
> these....
>
> That is, the very thing you mention below - interaction between
> component parts - cannot be claimed to be 100% complete because all the
> relationships with the distal natural world are GONE - the relationship
> of the original atoms with space and everything else has been replaced
> by a model inside a totally different substrate where the relationships
> are abstracted and cannot even be guessed. They are GONE. You can't
> replace them because you are doing science and you don't know where the
> items are, nor do you know their nature - for you are doing science to
> find that out! The IO is fundamentally degenerately related to the
> distal world and there is no supervision.
>
> RE: No free lunch theorem (NFL)
> The scenario around which NFL is constructed is functionally
> indistinguishable to COMP. Your "machine learning" mission is to choose
> functions to match measurements, not match laws of nature to
> observations. The former happens at the periphery (in data). The latter
> happens in the phenomenal consciousness of an appropriately endowed
> scientist who has a view of the origination of the measurements and can
> then contextualise them into a law of nature.  There is no a-priori way
> of distinguishing a 'law of nature' describing the origination of
> measurements from the measurements themselves. It is impossible to
> construct such a thing from the peripheral measurements alone....QM
> degeneracy prohibits that. A function that predicts the behaviour of
> data is *not a law of nature*. The data in COMP_S arrives, just as it
> arrives in the NFL scenario... without context - no amount of IO cross
> correlation restores access to the distal real world- remember the
> artificial scientist is demanded to be fundamentally unsupervised
> 'learning' of tn.
>
> *Game over!*

Don't think so.  I think all your argument shows is that some form of
embodiment
is needed for intelligence.  But that doesn't show that computationalism is
false, only that it's impractical - one has to know to much to duplicate human
intelligence because it includes duplicating so many relations.  This may be
true - or it may not.  But it doesn't show COMP-S is impossible in logical or
nomological sense.