From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-l...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Bruno Marchal
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2010 12:00 AM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Free will: Wrong entry.

I am a compatibilist. Free will necessitates determinism. It makes people
choosing to do what their want, notably when choosing between alternatives.
But they cannot choose what they want. This depends on many factors.

Free will is a high level phenomenon. Adding indeterminacy is irrelevant,
concerning free-will. Adding indeterminacy in a choice can only lessen the
freeness of the will.

Cashmore demolishes a naive notion of free-will which makes no sense at the
start. We can do freely actions, even when our friends who know us can
predict the action. Free will is the ability to choose, among alternatives,
in general with incomplete information, the actions which maximize some
self-satisfiability constraints. It is self-determination.