On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 11:38 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 5/18/2011 7:58 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
> That is how meditation and dissociative drug can help you to remind the
> consciousness of the "blanche machine", the consciousness of the virgin
> Löbian machine. Memories only differentiate consciousness.
>
> Are you claiming that every thought includes a memory?  A memory of what?
> The immediately preceding thought?
>
> You lost me. I was pretending the contrary. I was with you on this. It is
> *because* a thought (a conscious thought) does not necessarily include a
> memory or a reference to previous thoughts that you can remain conscious
> when taking a drug which disconnect you from all memories.
>
> Ok.  I mistook your point.  I agree that memory is not necessary for
> consciousness - though I think it is necessary for self-consciousness.

I tend to disagree.  What is memory?  Just representation in some
material substrate?  When you “recall” a memory into the present is it
still a memory or part of the present?   What about false memories?

Isn’t the experience of reflecting on a memory just another kind of
experience, no different really than day-dreaming about something that
never happened?

Rex