On 18 May 2011, at 19:47, Stephen Paul King wrote:

Hi Rex,

A very good point! There must be a place for "false memories" in our modal logics.

Indeed. and G* proves DBf. Lies and falsities abounds in the mind of the average Löbian machines.

Could these be included in the Bp & p where the p is not necessarily "true" in all worlds?

It can, because "p" means in that context that p is arithmetically true, like Dt for a consistent machine, so we can have by incompleteness BDt & Dt. Of course BDt -> Bf (incompletness), and G* proves BDt -> f. But this concerns the correct machine. All this work because we cannot know that we are consistent.

Bruno

Onward!

Stephen

-----Original Message----- From: Rex Allen
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:30 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: On the Sequencing of Observer Moments

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 11:38 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
On 5/18/2011 7:58 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

That is how meditation and dissociative drug can help you to remind the consciousness of the "blanche machine", the consciousness of the virgin
Löbian machine. Memories only differentiate consciousness.

Are you claiming that every thought includes a memory? A memory of what?
The immediately preceding thought?

You lost me. I was pretending the contrary. I was with you on this. It is *because* a thought (a conscious thought) does not necessarily include a memory or a reference to previous thoughts that you can remain conscious
when taking a drug which disconnect you from all memories.

Ok.  I mistook your point.  I agree that memory is not necessary for
consciousness - though I think it is necessary for self- consciousness.

I tend to disagree.  What is memory?  Just representation in some
material substrate?  When you “recall” a memory into the present is it
still a memory or part of the present?   What about false memories?

Isn’t the experience of reflecting on a memory just another kind of
experience, no different really than day-dreaming about something that
never happened?

Rex