I believe consciousness is a carrier signal like the faint hum we hear when a radio station is on but silent. It is modulated like a radio signal by sensory input from external and internal sources. All animals have it but only man with his abstract reasoning ability is able to theorize its existence. Modern man experiences as many inputs from the speech and conceptual centers of his mind as he does from the world outside. We can never experience pure consciousness because we can never silence the continuous influx of sensory data; but we intuit its existence so strongly that we speak of it with absolute confidence in its facticity. m.a.

----- Original Message ----- From: "selva" <selvakr1...@gmail.com>
To: "Everything List" <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2011 4:36 AM
Subject: Re: consciousness

On Jul 1, 4:23 pm, selva kumar <selvakr1...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is consciousness causally effective ?

I found this question in previous threads,but I didn't find a answer.

I believe consciousness is a monitoring system (aka awareness)

When our hand is moved obeying some computations,there is a ON-SCREEN
DISPLAY going on in the brain: " my hand is moving "

When we are learning something ,DISPLAY : "your are learning this and
this " and saves it with a lot of tags in it,so that when you learn
something new which includes a tagged word,it opens the old saved data
and updates it.
Without this monitoring and liaison system our brain stumbles.

And this monitoring system is acts only when the actions are related
to the cerebrum of the brain and not to cerebellum where primary motor
functions are saved.
This is why we are not concentrating on our speech while we are
speaking.

Thus,in my belief, in the absence of this monitoring system,the
functions of cerebrum gets affected but not that of cerebellum.
Thats why we can speak even while we are asleep. so,casually effective
in case of cerebrum but not in case of cerebellum.