On 7/8/2011 8:08 PM, Rex Allen wrote:

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 11:01 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 7/8/2011 7:35 PM, Constantine Pseudonymous wrote:

        it makes so much sense.....

        the doctrine of physicalism is in the least on the same plane
        as any
        idealistic metaphysics, especially some form of objective
        But in my eye… the fairer judgment is that some form of idealistic
        metaphysics is in fact situated a step above physicalism in
        probability and satisfactory of coherence.

    And has idealistic metaphysics ever made a successful prediction
    or informed a useful product?

Metaphysics has nothing to do with prediction. Metaphysics is about interpretation and meaning.

But the metaphysics of materialism has been the philosophical guide of science since the renaissance. Idealism has been the metaphysics of mystics and charlatans.

In other words: What do we make of the fact that these predictions were successful (or not)? What does this mean with respect to our beliefs about what kinds of things exist?

The things we take to exist are the elements of our successful models.