On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

> There was a lot made of the perceived difference in digital music when
> CDs first came out, in the audiophile communities particularly. I do
> think that a subtle difference can be detected but hard to know
> whether it's the digital nature itself or the processing, mixing,
> playback equipment, confirmation bias, etc. Digital music seems
> harsher, more sibilant and shallow on the percussion. It doesn't
> bother me much, but I think there could be a legitimate, if subtle
> difference stemming from the pure conversion of analog waveforms to
> digital samples.

Whether or not a nerve cell in your cochlea fires or not is digital, as is
the number of ions it releases when it fires.  Thus, even when listening to
analogue recordings, by the time it reaches your brain the signal has been
digitized.  Digital representations today technology may have compression
artifacts or be sampled at rates well below the ability of the human ear to
discern, but there is some level of digital fidelity at which it would be
impossible for your ear to be able to distinguish.

Jason