On Jul 27, 7:37 am, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 11:29 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> But you must believe that your vision is normal, because the parts of
> your brain responsible for formulating beliefs and expressing them are
> receiving exactly the same inputs as they would normally receive.

I'm saying that they would not receive the same inputs just because
what we see on an MRI looks the same to us. That may not be the whole
picture. It may not even be half of the picture. If you replace a room
full of people dancing with audioanimatronic mannequins doing the
exact same dance, the mannequins don't start dancing by themselves
because they feel like dancing.

> As I
> keep repeating, that is the entire point of the experiment. The
> replacement neurons function the same,

As I keep repeating, we cannot assume that it is possible for anything
other than neurons to function the same as neurons. I believe that
they wouldn't have to be identical, but my hunch is that the emulation
would be severely lacking without chemical and biological levels being
represented.

except they are assumed to lack
> consciousness because they lack some vital component. Is it possible
> to make such neurons? I don't believe it is possible as it would lead
> to the absurdity of partial zombies.

But there are partial zombies already. That's why people drink coffee.

> The claim is that in order to preserve consciousness it is only
> necessary to replicate the externally observable behaviour of neural
> tissue.

Observable to who?

Craig