On Aug 3, 12:17 pm, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 8/3/2011 4:01 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
> > I think that the experience that a silicon computer has when it's
> > powered up is likely to be very similar regardless of what it's
> > running, just as a TVs experience is probably about the same
> > regardless of what TV show you are watching on it.
> That's a ridiculous segue from a computer to a TV.  A TV doesn't run a
> program in the way a computer does.

A TV to a computer is a lot less of a leap than a machine is to a
human psyche. A TV is in fact a computer, it just has limited
functionality compared to other digital devices. A clock is a

>The reason computers are so limited
> is that their "perception" and "actions" are very limited.  That's why a
> tend to use Mars Rovers as examples.  They are autonomous computer
> controlled devices that have broad perceptual and action abilities.

Yes, their perception and actions, ie sensorimotive range is very
limited. That's why they can't simulate a human mind, which has a much
much greater range.